Friday 28 June 2013

The Secret Garden Little Joy



The thing is, I'm not very observant. That is - visually, I'm not. I only seem to notice stuff that I'm directly interested in, indifferently disregarding the rest. Street signs, adverts on the sides of city buses, my boss's new haircut - these are things that my mental processing carefreely omits. emr often gets irritated with me when, after commenting on some funny/ridiculous/infuriating/kitsch artefact which currently occupies the public sphere, he finds out that I have no clue what he's talking about. 'How could you not have noticed this?! It's everywhere!', he gasps and I can only give him a silent apologetic look or indeed pretend that oh yes, I've just remembered the damned poster in question... What to do? I managed to ignore a big construction site in front of my workplace - even though there were talks about it for a month beforehand - up until someone finally pointed it out to me...

No wonder then that I missed this lovely tiny place in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town for so long. It is a beautiful 17th century style secret garden hidden in one of the many closes of Canongate, the lower part of The Royal Mile. What's so great about it is that despite it being situated in the most touristy and busy part of the city, it remains quiet, intimate and charmingly old fashioned.

My excuse though is that the garden really is hidden and is easier to find if you already know that it exists. Now every time I pass Dunbar's Close I try to pop in there for a moment to enjoy the beauty of my most recent Edinburgh discovery. And if I have no time for contemplation, the fact that the garden is there and that I know about it pleases me all the same.

***

Prawda jest taka, że nie jestem zbyt spostrzegawcza. Jeśli chodzi o bodźce wizulane - nie jestem. Zazwyczaj zauważam tylko to, co mnie bezpośrednio interesuje, obojętnie ignorując całą resztę. Bilboardy, reklamy na autobusach miejskich, nowa fryzura mojej szefowej - te rzeczy beztrosko pozostawiam poza obrębem swojej świadomości. emr często się irytuje, gdy odkrywa, rozważając jakiś zabawny/idiotyczny/przyprawiający o furię/kiczowaty wyrób zajmujący w danym momencie przestrzeń publiczną, że nie mam pojęcia o czym mówi.
- Jak mogłaś nie zauważyć?! Przecież to jest wszędzie! - obrusza się, a ja mogę tylko zerkać przepraszająco lub też udawać, że ach! Oczywiście! Właśnie mi się przypomniał rzeczony plakat... Co zrobić, ja nawet nie zauważyłam rozpoczęcia sporej budowy przed moim miejscem pracy, dopóki ktoś mi owej budowy nie wskazał. Pomimo, że o budowie trąbiono cały poprzedzający ją miesiąc. Bywa.

Nic więc dziwnego, że śliczne maleńkie miejsce położone w samym sercu edynburskiego Starego Miasta tak długo uchodziło mojej uwadze. A jest to piękny, zaprojektowany na wzór siedemnastowieczny tajemniczy ogród, ukryty w jednym z wielu przesmyków ulicy Canongate, stanowiącej dolną część The Royal Mile. Najwspanialsze w tym sekretnym parku jest to, że pomimo swojej lokalizacji w najbardziej turystycznej części miasta, pozostaje on zaciszny, kameralny i uroczo staroświecki.

Na swoją obronę powiem, że ogród naprawdę jest ukryty i najłatwiej go znaleźć, gdy się już wie o jego istnieniu. Teraz zazwyczaj, kiedy przechodzę obok Dunbar's Close, zbaczam na chwilę z trasy, by nacieszyć się urodą mojego ostatniego edynburskiego odkrycia. A jeśli nie mam czasu na kontemplację, już sama świadomość, że ogród istnieje i że ja o tym wiem, bez pudła napawa mnie uciechą.



No comments:

Post a Comment