Thursday 29 November 2012

If you put it on




Whatever ups and downs you may have in your life, wearing a cool dress (and earrings) is always an elevating thing.
However...

The Red Dress 
(Dorothy Parker)
 
I always saw, I always said
If I were grown and free,
I'd have a gown of reddest red
As fine as you could see,

To wear out walking, sleek and slow,
Upon a Summer day,
And there'd be one to see me so
And flip the world away.

And he would be a gallant one,
With stars behind his eyes,
And hair like metal in the sun,
And lips too warm for lies.

I always saw us, gay and good,
High honored in the town.
Now I am grown to womanhood...
I have the silly gown. 


***

Bez względu na życiowe wzloty i upadki, posiadanie odstrzałowej kiecki (oraz kolczyków) jest zawsze sprawą szalenie budującą.
Jednakże, aczkolwiek - -

Czerwona sukienka 
(Dorothy Parker)

Zawsze mówiłam, śniłam tak,
Że gdy dorosnę już,
Będę mieć suknię - polny mak,
Jak z najczerwieńszych róż.

Nosiłabym ją w letni dzień,
Zwiewną, lekką jak mgła,
I wtedy on ujrzałby mnie
I wnet przysłonił świat.

On miałby wprost królewski gest,
W oczach gwiaździsty blask,
I włosy niczym w słońcu miedź,
I gorąc ust, bez kłamstw.

Roiłam radość wspólnych dni
Bez bólu brudnych szram.
Teraz dorosła jestem i - -
I głupią suknię mam.

1 comment:

  1. ‘Cause you are the ornament,
    A moon in the manor of the night
    You scatter lights through your hands
    Like grains, with the solemn rite.

    And a veil of the birds’ songs
    On your shoulder, like a coat,
    A rug on a hallway that overflows
    The backyard, where Venus alone

    Shines. You are a cloud and a flight high
    Glare of water and a stone’s glint.
    I wish I could save your cloudy eyes
    From the oblivion’s sin.
    (…)

    ReplyDelete