Tuesday 16 July 2013

The Water of Leith. Take a stroll with me, will you?


A and I are wandering around Leith in the sunny late afternoon. I have an analogue camera with me that has only two exposures to spare before I take the film to a shop to get it processed.
'I'm gonna finish off the film today', I explain to A. 'But I want to capture rather nice things. Like flowers or something', I add, as I'm in the mood for nice pretty things.
'I know!', exclaims A and his eyes get sparkle with a sudden blast of AVery Good Idea. 'Follow me, I'll show you an Exceptionally Charming Spot!'. His tone of voice and body language indicate such enthusiasm that I follow him towards the Water of Leith, our local river, truly intrigued. For I thought I knew this area and all its Charming Places better than the back of my hand, but there you are, A is going to surprise me!

We're twisting and turning a little cos A can't remember the exact way to the Spot. Finally, after having climbed a small slope and torn through some bushes, A announces triumphantly: 'It's here!'.


For a few moments I say nothing, trying to link in my head the view that unfolds in front of my eyes to the idea of An Exceptionally Charming Spot, in any way. No, I can't. Is it a silly joke that A is playing on me, is it his perverted sense of aesthetics taking an upper hand, or did he simply go crazy? And if it's the latter, what sort of raptures should I express in order not to upset the madman?

For what appears in front of me is everything but charming. An old dirty bench, vague remains of something that used to be green grass and a few apathetic daisies popping their worn out heads out from amongst the piles of empty beer cans, cigarette butts and crisp bags. All this surrounded by dry and broken branches of bush. In summary, dodgy yuck.

I slowly move my gaze from the smashed glass that rests under the bench towards A. His face expresses a clash between confusion and embarrassment.
'Last time I was here, it looked quite different', he utters as a shy apology.
'Aha. And were you drunk or were you in love back then? Or quite both?', I murmur a grumble, but I take a mandatory snap with my camera anyway.


We then take a stroll along The Water of Leith and as usual I am startled by the serene beauty of the view over the river. I always think that early evening is the best time to come here: clear air, lilac sky, metallic lustre of waters and a thick wall of greenery along the way can soothe any stressed city-dweller's nerves.
'Look, a heron hunting over there!', exclaims A with wonder.
'It's a sculpture, you fool', I'm determined not to get unnecessarily excited again today. But at once I realise that I'm wrong and he is right, a heron is real indeed. Not only good art but real wildlife can you spot alongside this little river!

The sculpture I refer to in a nonchalant moment of folly is one of the lesser known art works situated in the actual river. More famous are Antony Gormley's six statues, but due to last year's floods, most of Gormley's sculptures were knocked over by The Water of Leith. This however went in accordance with the installations' very nature, as they were designed to be non-obstructive and disappear into the water in case of severe natural conditions.





Thus, forget places like A's unfortunate Charming Spot. Or rather, excuse them. They are here, but I dare say, are less common than real and man-made herons and the likes.

I use my last snap to try and capture the hunting bird we pass, but it is quicker and manages to flee. So instead we try to find the statue heron, but we can't. Maybe it was taken by the river like Gormley's statue men, or maybe it became temporarily covered by the ever lush display of summer greenery?

No matter though. This is The Water of Leith, An Exceptionally Charming Place.





***

W słoneczne późne popołudnie A. i ja włóczymy się po Leith, dzielnicy Edynburga, w której oboje mieszkamy. Mam ze sobą aparat analogowy z dwiema ostatnimi klatkami na filmie do wykorzystania.
- Chcę wypstrykać wszystkie zdjęcia dzisiaj - wyjaśniam A. - Ale wiesz, żeby było na nich coś ładnego. Jakieś kwiatki na przykład - dodaję, bo jestem dziś miło nastrojona na odbiór miłych rzeczy.
- Wiem! - rozpromienia się A., a jego oczy rozświetla błysk zwiastujący nagły przypływ Wspaniałego Pomysłu. - Pokażę ci Wyjątkowo Urokliwy Zakątek!

Ton jego głosu i gesty zdradzają taki entuzjazm, że zaintrygowana podążam za nim w stronę Water of Leith, naszej lokalnej rzeczki. Jak dotąd myślałam, że znam tę okolicę jak własną kieszeń, a tu proszę, A. chce mnie zaskoczyć!

Przez jakiś czas krążymy niepewnie, bo A. nie pamięta dokładnej drogi do Zakątka. Wreszcie, po wspięciu się na niewielki pagórek i przedarciu przez średnio gęste haszcze, A. oznajmia triumfalnie:

- To tutaj!

Przez kilka chwil nic nie mówię, dokonując mentlnej próby dopasowania idei Wyjątkowo Urokliwego Zakątka z widokiem, który roztacza się przed moimi oczami. Bezskutecznie. Czy to jakiś dziwaczny dowcip A., czy jego perwersyjne poczucie estetyki, czy też po prostu mój przyjaciel zwariował? A jeśli to ostatnie, jakie zachwyty powinnam wyrazić, żeby przypadkiem nie sprowokować wariata?

Bowiem to co rozpościera się przede mną można określić wieloma epitetami, z wyjątkiem słowa 'urokliwy'. Jest tu stara brudna ławka, pozostałości czegoś, co kiedyś mogło być zieloną trawą, kilka apatycznych stokrotek, wyłaniających swe podwiędłe główki spomiędzy petów papierosowych, pustych puszek po piwie i torebek po czipsach. Wszystko to otoczone jakimiś suchymi badylami. Mówiąc krótko, melina pod chmurką.

Powoli przenoszę swoje spojrzenie z potłuczonego szkła pod połamaną ławką na A. Jego twarz wyraża coś pomiędzy zakłopotaniem a dezorientacją.

- Kiedy tu byłem ostatnio, wyglądało to jakoś inaczej - usprawiedliwia się nieśmiało.
- Acha. A byłeś wtedy pijany, czy zakochany? Czy wszystko naraz? - pozwalam sobie na kąśliwą uwagę i mimo wszystko pstrykam obligatoryjną fotkę.

Następnie wyruszamy na przechadzkę wzdłuż Water of Leith i jak zwykle jestem pod wrażeniem łagodnej urody tej rzeki. Zawsze myślę, że wczesny wieczór to idealna pora, by tutaj przyjść: przejrzyste powietrze, liliowe niebo, metaliczny połysk wody i gruba warstwa zieleni wokół zdołają ukoić nerwy każdego zestersowanego mieszczucha.

- Patrz, czapla łowi ryby! - wykrzykuje A. z zachwytem.
- To rzeźba, głupku - pukam się znacząco w czoło, bo jestem zdeterminowana nie dać się już dzisiaj omamić obietnicą niby-ekscytujących wydarzeń. Lecz zaraz zdaję sobie sprawę, że to A. ma rację, nie ja: czapla jest żywa i prawdziwa. Nie tylko dzieła sztuki, ale też dzikie zwierzęta można napotkać wzdłuż tej małej rzeczki.

Rzeźba, o którą kłócę się nonszalancko a bezpodstawnie, to jedna z mniej znanych instalacji położonych – tak, w samej rzece. Bardziej sławnych jest sześć posągów autorstwa Anthony'ego Gormley'a, ale ze względu na zeszłoroczne wylewy rzeki większość figur Gormley'a zostało zalanych przez rwący potok Water of Leith. Taki był jednak zamysł tych instalacji: miały być one jak najbardziej nieinwazyjne w środowisko naturalne i ich zniknięcie pod wodą w przypadku podtopień było przewidziane w projekcie.
 

A więc, można zapomnieć miejsca takie jak ten nieszczęsny Urokliwy Zakątek A. A raczej, można je wybaczyć. One tutaj występują, ale jakby mniej licznie niż prawdziwe oraz stworzone ręką artystów czaple i tym podobne.
 

Zużywam ostatnią klatkę na filmie, by sfotografować polującą czaplę, ale jest ona szybsza i odfruwa w momencie, gdy wyzwalam przesłonę. Nie udaje się nam też tym razem odnaleźć statuetki czapli w rzece. Może została porwana przez wodę, jak figury Gormley'a, a może zasłonił ją letni gąszcz roślinności?
 

Nieważne, nieważne. To jest Water of Leith. Wyjątkowo Urokliwe Miejsce.





No comments:

Post a Comment